Thursday 18 February 2016

Week 6: R3 Media Response

Jimmy Wales: The birth of Wikipedia really opened my eyes to how Wikipedia functions. I have never given it much thought, but it is interesting that thousands of volunteers offer their work/knowledge to build this nonprofit encyclopedia to the public. In a way, it is extremely similar to how we are crowdsourcing for Assignment #2. The fact that Wikipedia only really has one employee, the server operation manager, is unreal. The rest of the work is provided by willing volunteers who wish to share their knowledge. Wales admits it is not perfect, but much better than you would expect from a crowdsourcing model. This insight to Wikipedia's success has made me more excited to see how our 1 minute crowdsourcing project will turn-out. I believe the variety of art-styles and personal input will add a holistic tone to this production.

What is Crowdsourcing provided me with a clearly definition of what crowdsourcing is and the different types. It seems that Assignment #2 is a combination of Crowdsource Design and Microtasks because not only are we getting several different people to contribute their art, but we are also dividing up the frames into microtasks. Also, I've always thought of Crowdsourcing to be the same as Crowdfunding and this article clarified that difference for me. I guess the main thing that our class has to take into account is that our crowdsourced frames may not be exactly what we hoped to convey with this short film production. 

Tiffany Shalain's article she brought to my attention that you could crowdsource Youtube videos into your own film production. I find this approach fascinating and I would like to put this method into action within one of my own films. It reminds me in a way of my audio-visual criticism course that I took abroad in London. We were provided 7 films and asked to critically edit together audio/visual elements from these films into our own 6 minute short. This is one of the top favorite films I've worked on. I critically approached the idea of the femme fatale by mainly using audio/footage of Marlene Dietrich in Morocco (1930).


(Andre, I apologize for the out-of-order blog posts. I got a little mixed up of when each post was due. Sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment