Monday 1 February 2016

Week 4: R2 Media Response

Soundscape is an cinematic quality that I have always appreciated, but have never really understood. "Listen" by David New really put the art of a soundscape into perspective for me. The depth of sound adds grandness to a scene.

"Justin Boyd: Sound and Time" also gave an inside-perspective of the importance sound. He explores sounds we hear everyday and tries to capture its unique qualities. His emphasis on the effect of 'how' and 'when' something was recorded was very interesting. Boyd said this develops a sound's distinct character. I also enjoyed how he explained that different objects can produce similar 'character' sounds.

Jim Cumming's article illustrated very clearly how one should learn how to listen. There are several sounds surrounding us throughout the day, but do we really take the time to listen to symphony of ambient noise? I know I don't. However, after reading this article, I closed my eyes for a minute and listened to the sounds surrounding me. I was amazed with how many details/images I could collect from the sounds alone. I believe there were some details of my surroundings that I would not have noticed by sight alone.

Schafer's article also emphasized how advancements in technology such as transportation, military weapons, and computers have "polluted" soundscapes. Today, it is hard to record sound without the interference of modern technological sounds. I experienced this issue constantly during the filming of my documentary in which we tried to gather ambient nature audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment