Sunday 14 February 2016

Week 5: 16mm Film Manipulation Response

The 16mm Film Manipulation assignment was one of my favorite film projects I've worked on so far as a film student. There is something beautiful about working with actual film stock and being able to physically manipulate it and see how different materials/objects affected the image in the cel.

The most challenging part of this assignment was conceptualizing an animation that would one: fit within the tiny 16mm frame and two: animate it within this small space to convey fluid movement.

Although it was great to collaborate with a partner for this project, I wished I would have been able to work on this individually. It is definitely an filmmaking approach I would like to experiment with again, that is if the resources would be available for me.

The other challenging aspect for this project was to load the film into the film reel. Although the instructions provided by the blog were very detailed, it was still hard to determine how the film should be oriented. I wish we could have taken more time in class to visually see how this is done.

I think my favorite ways to manipulate the 16mm film was adding bleach, using sandpaper, and applying ink. The effect of these manipulations was the most effective when using the printed film stock. I liked applying these methods to manipulate the printed image to the point of abstraction. Although the original image did add interesting textures, I did not want a part of the original print to show through.

The bleach, depending how long I applied it, created bold hues of purple, blue, or yellow. I also created a more texturized image by combining scratching and ink application. After I scratched the printed film with sandpaper, I applied different ink colors in layers to created a blotted, clunked image to represent Earth. It was a long process, but I am excited to see how it will transfer visually.

No comments:

Post a Comment