Sunday 7 February 2016

Week 7: "The Rough Theater"

I found the reading "The Rough Theatre" by Peter Brook extremely interesting and I found it very relevant to experimental filmmaking. This passage conveys that the 'illogical' is more logical than we give it credit for. For example, the Theater of the Absurd and existential plays such as Waiting for Godot are relatable to audiences (even if they do not understand it).

I remember when I first read these experimental plays and I had no clue what to make of it. However, the more plays that I read in this style, the more I began to understand its underlying meanings (which usually comments/critiques on the cultural norms of traditions/morals, people, and time).

From my experience in the Film Studies program, several students disregard experimental films saying they are boring and only made to 'look pretty'. Hearing these comments make me cringe because I believe these students dislike experimental films due to the fact that they have not taken the time to understand them visually and analytically. Film is an art like any other form that should challenge its viewers to experience a different perspective.

Another important point this essay makes is to not just analyze the performance/visuals but also to take notice of the sound design. Sound holds more significant meaning than audiences usually know. Sound can affect one's response towards an image whether it provides an accompanying or differing tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment